The iPod reset utility will reset your iPod shuffle back to it's factory settings. It works for the following shuffles: iPod shuffle (1st Generation) - iPod Software version 1.1.5, iPod shuffle (2nd Generation) - iPod Software version 1.0.3
The reset utility will fix the following issues.
1. The iPod won't play music and can't be restored using iTunes
2. iTunes won't see the iPod but you can see it under "My Computer" in windows or under Apple System Profiler on a Mac.
3. iPod shuffle (1st Generation) is identified as a device in "Recovery mode." iPod shuffle (2nd Generation) is identified as a "USB DFU device."
2. You have to have administrator privileges to run the restore software and it will wipe out all the information on the iPod (including all your music) and install factory software back onto it.
System requirements are Mac OS X 10.3.9, or later, Win2k with sp4, Win XP, this won't work on Vista.
Download the file for the program here:
3. Install the software onto your computer, plug your iPod into the USB port and run the reset program, it will ask for your permission to reset the iPod, answer yes and the process will proceed. After finishing the reset procedure then use iTunes or whatever software is used to access your iPod and load your music. Enjoy your toy!